Monday, April 12, 2010

teaching in a high school

April 12, 2010

I need to get my journal for my travels from my home computer before I can post anymore. That trip had a pretty powerful impact upon my person and the myriad of feelings, impressions, and lessons that I learned while trekking over the miles of the countries were indelible.


Today 3 of 4 classes have been cancelled. I really don’t know how seriously my school takes my teaching, but it’s been an incredibly fun challenge to put together lesson plans and figure out how to negotiate the student interactions. The students have gotten extremely attentive and sweet after I got my bearings in the classroom. I’ve been teaching them little phrases. I was getting sick of the hundreds of “hi”s and “hello”s I was getting with a blush and averted eyes. Now the campus and hallways are ringing with “what’s up?”s. It’s been a bizarre experience to give instructions to 400 and then watch the masses shift accordingly. It’s a heady sense of responsibility to have this kind of influence upon young people. It scares me that somehow the kids might find out how I spend my weekends.


Well, it’s been a month; I’ve got about 10.5 more to go. If the next 10.5 months are as good as this one, I’ll be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment