Wednesday, May 27, 2009

jet lagging, forever

jet lag. i've been walking through my days in a dreamlike state for the past 5 days. my head has felt hollow--like when i've gotten water in my ear and hear a echoing gong w/ every step i take.

i've wandered into my little glass office and sat back on that swivelly office chair and felt strange detachment from my surroundings. i've awoken several times each night to various states of the moon or the sun's movement filtering through the shifting curtains and the windows. almost everytime i've awoken, i've been caught w/ a sense of confusion: am i in Dublin? am i in Galway? where the hell am i? oh wait. i'm in Korea.

this has been a little dizzying and disconcerting and has caused me to wonder what it all means. i want to soar and fly off the edge into the forever clouds that carry all of my aspirations. if only i had enough money to do it all. blah. i hate money.

but, as i've been having conversations w/ my loved ones in Korea about their plans following the termination of their year-long contracts, i've begun to have both apprehension and excitement about the future unknown. they will all be leaving and i will have to figure out where i'm going to relieve my itchy feet. i was looking at international jobs online today and i realized that possibilities are fairly far-reaching.

i've got this master's degree in an arena of work that isn't necessarily what i want to commit to. it kills me a little that this is the source of my financial woes, and the reason why i cannot just go back to school for medicine or something. but there were jobs in Spain and Japan and Vietnam and Chile and the United Arab Emerits? i really could see the world and live in it if i wanted. getting a English teaching certificate isn't very difficult.

i think i have to stay in Korea for at least another year in order to get this language a little more fully mastered, but i'm open to anything i think. scary. exciting. exhausting. where the hell am i again?
oh right. i'm in Seoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment