Sunday, September 12, 2010

i love to laugh. and God loves it when i do.

i am easily alarmed and will laugh easily as well, but there aren't many things that'll really really tickle my funny bone.

SO, when my funny bone has been titulated in this way, i will randomly laugh about the humorous incident for days after. this makes people nervous b/c i am usually unwilling to disclose the foolishness that is making me giggle.

i went to the 3pm church service today, and it was actually a little better than i expected. my church attendance has been spotty in Korea--(for plenty of personal and institutional reasons) thus, i don't really know any of the church members but the sweetie senior Pastor Bill.

anyway, i've been more intentional about trying to live a little more quietly and engage in healthier activities that make me happier and calmer and et cetera.
i've realized:
i DON'T have to hit every party i'm invited to.
i DON'T have to go out every time someone is trying to get my attention.
missing out on the "action" might feel a little crazy--this morning, i got 2 urgent phone calls informing me of the theft and the fight that happened last night. nutty. however, i observed the the insanity of the previous day's party w/ virtually no personal fall-out. (i hope that doesn't sound selfish. i don't mean it that way.)

i've been spending my Sundays at the jimjilbahng and then heading to church. afterwards, i've been either meeting a few people, hitting a cafe/bookstore, or just chilling out. it's been a nice rhythm i've gotten into.

given these factors, today: i had a nice time of introspection during the service, and felt like i had a chance to actually chat w/ God. towards the end of the service, there was communion and a closing song that i knew the words to. i closed my eyes as i sang and felt peace. during one of the choruses, someone sat right night to me. i didn't move or acknowledge him/her, though i certainly wondered why this person chose to sit so closely to me when there were so many other seats available.
following the song, there was a prayer--so i kept my eyes closed. at the final "amen", i felt the person's hand slowly brush the top of mine and i blanched. i swiftly turned to the offender in order to punch some lights out. i was greeted to the mirthful expression of my friend, Michelle, and i nearly burst into uncontrollable giggles.

from the podium, P Bill's mouth was twitching w/ a chuckle as i threw my arms around her. i loudly whispered "CREEPY!!" into her ear. Michelle kept on trying to calm me down and act like nothing had just happened, but my giggles could not be mustered.

i don't know why, but this incident has made me laugh forever.
it is grand to have some levity in the middle of a church service. God can be pretty serious business at times, but i'm pretty sure He thought the whole incident was pretty hilarious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment