Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday mania and the Korean man

another day, another round.

i was awoken to my phone ringing. i dazedly looked at the name and thought, "Melissa? who the hell is Melissa?"
"hello?"
"Mary?" said an anxious voice.
"yes?"
"Mary, where are you?"
i squinted at the clock and groggily tried to tap into the voice recognition portion of my brain, "i'm at home." and then it dawned on me. MELISSA. oh shit. it's MONDAY! i sat up and shook the cobwebs loose from my synapses.
"Mary, are you sick?"
"no, no! i'm not sick. i just didn't hear my alarm. i'll be at work as soon as possible."
she sounded nervous, "the vice principal was asking about you."
*that* was ominous.

it's mid-terms week, and actually, there is no real reason for me to be at work, sans the Korean work culture that lends to the notion that one's physical *presence* in the office is important. i smirked as i made my bed and sauntered into my bathroom. i hoped that i wasn't in too much trouble, but i dunno--i've been fighting the indifference that seems to come with this SMOE job.
the school itself has minimized the importance of the work that i do, and though i put in all of my efforts while in the classroom, outside of the classroom, i have just done my best to keep my head bowed and my eyes trained on my computer screen.
i don't listen to the announcements during the teachers' meetings anymore--not because i'm lazy or do not care--it's because i only understand about 80% of what is going on. that last 20% of comprehension is crucial to actually receiving a message, so i've taken to writing or reading or checking my email during that time.

well this morning, i got to the office about 45 minutes late, and i made a bee-line for the VP's desk. i was a little surprised at how it went down. Korean office politics severely highlights my problem with the Korean man.
my VP's voice was unnecessarily loud and boomed through the teachers room, "you didn't have class yesterday. you didn't have tests yesterday. why were you late today?" i cringed because i could sense that the entire staff was waiting for my response.
"yes. i'm really really sorry--"
"you're really very sorry?" he chuckled mockingly--imitating my bad Korean grammar.
i grit my teeth, but kept my voice in a submissive half-curtsy, "yes, i just didn't hear my alarm this morning."
"no? why not? why did you go to bed late?" is that your business?
"well, i was volunteering."
"what do you mean?" he leaned forward. a glimmer of curiosity interrupted his gleeful spanking.
"i do volunteer work on Sundays."
"tell me about this. what kind of volunteer work?" his voice shifted down to a normal volume.
"i go to Seoul Station with some friends--you know how there are a lot of homeless people there?"
he nodded slowly, "yes--there are many homeless people in that area."
i folded my hands in front of me,"my friends and i buy food and then distribute it until late at night."
the VP gave me a penetrating look, "and so that's what you did last night?"
i tried not to roll my eyes, "yes. i was very busy yesterday."
he leaned back in his chair. i could see that he was trying to decide whether/not he was done toying with me.
he was.
i returned to my desk.

however, all day, i had people coming up to me asking me if i was "ok". it was a little confusing. about half-way through the day, i discovered that at precisely 8:13am, the VP made a huge racket throughout the teacher's office about my absence. he ran up to Melissa and loudly questioned her about where i was, as if i were intentionally taking advantage of the system. he made sure that all of the employees could hear him.
the teachers who knew me felt compelled to ask what had happened because the VP had made such a scene about it. when i realized what a production was made out of my tardiness, i was a little embarrassed--but, actually more amused than anything.

i know i'm probably pointing this gun at my own foot, but this Korean 눈치 ("noon-chi") bullshit is just not working for me. and i think it's ridiculous for the Koreans to expect for me to *get it* when they themselves don't even get it.
the VP has been hinting that he wants me to be the editor-in-chief of the high school's English newspaper (ermm. who's going to read this?) but he hasn't clearly stated what he expects of me.
it's funny because when he alludes to tasks like translating pages of complex Korean into English, i giggle and cock my head to the side and politely explain the limitations of my linguistic abilities--MUCH to his exasperation. he's getting a little pissed that i'm not just DOING what he wants, no matter what the sacrifice (like his other employees). BUT i am not his bitch. he's not my boss--the Korean government is.
i know this is obnoxious to say, but despite my Korean face, i'm an American. i'm not going to guess what he wants. that shit's confusing.

so, here i am: wide-eyed innocence and fast, precise articulation in English. he gives up eventually, in frustration.
*giggles*

bang BANG! ouch! that's my foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment